The Poetry Competition consists of two categories. Competitors can participate in either one, or both categories as per their wish.
Rules and Regulations
• There are 2 events in the poetry competition.
1. Poetry Writing
• Participation in both events is optional. Any participant can compete in any event accordingly.
• There are 3 age groups.
1. Junior (2009 – 2011)
2. Intermediate (2006 – 2008)
3. Senior (2003 – 2005)
• Unique registration codes are allocated to all competitors of each event. The list of registration codes will be sent to the Official WhatsApp group in due time.
• Please note that the verdict of the judges will be final and the AISELA committee does not hold any responsibility of it.
• The competition will commence from the 24th of July onwards.
• One applicant is allowed to submit only one poem and it should not be published elsewhere (books, magazines, websites etc.)
• The respective context for each of the above age groups are given below.
1. Junior – Free verse on any topic
2. Intermediate – Free verse on any topic
3. Senior – Erasure poetry based on any secondary source
Poetry in Free verse (Junior/Intermediate)
▪ There are no limitations on words, lines and stanza count.
▪ Any topic of interest can be used for the poem.
▪ Use of obscene or inappropriate language is discouraged.
▪ No alterations can be made after receipt.
▪ The format of the document should be as follows.
Font – Times New Roman
Font size – Heading 14, Body 12
Font colour – Black (only)
Background – White (only)
Allowed file formats – Word documents (.docx)
Poetry based on Erasure (Senior)
▪ Erasure poems are created by taking away words from a pre-existing text.
▪ New words are not allowed to be written on the submission.
▪ The competitor can use any page of a printed book or a newspaper or magazine
▪ The name of the original book/magazine/newspaper, the name of the author of
the Book/article and the date of publication must be clearly mentioned in the
▪ Self-printed documents are not allowed.
• Competitors should include their Registration number (e.g. JIS07) and name on the top of the first page of the document.
• Please be sure to rename the document with the Registration code and first name. (e.g. JIS07_Eshan)
• Please use the submission form available in our website to submit entries. The deadline for submissions is on the 6th of August at 11:59 p.m.
• Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author but ELSL will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems in any relevant promotional material.
• The competition will commence from the 23rd of July onwards.
• The respective poems for each of the above age groups are given below.
1. Junior – The Tyger by William Blake
2. Intermediate – Alone by Edgar Allan Poe
3. Senior – Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe
• The selected poems for each age group of this event will be sent to the Official WhatsApp group in due time.
• Recitation submissions must be recorded as a video in landscape orientation.
• Competitors must be dressed in their school uniform and should mention their Name, School, Age Category and Registration Number at the beginning of the video.
• The video should be renamed with the First name and Registration code. (e.g. Eshan_JIS07)
• Please be sure to upload the video to Google drive, allow access and share the link when submitting the video. (For convenience, a detailed guide of this procedure will be provided)
• Please paste the relevant Google drive link in the submission form available in our website.
• Please use the submission form available in our website to submit entries. The
deadline for submissions is on the 6th of August at 11:59 p.m.